You never get a second chance to make a first impression, so how well your front desk team communicates is vital to the success of your dental practice. The patient experience, your reputation in the community, and your revenue potential depend on having a front desk team that is trained adequately.
If you’re ready to take your front desk training to the next level, keep reading for tips to begin implementing today.
Dental Front Desk Training Checklist
Whether you’re new to the field or your office has been a staple in the community for decades, chances are that some elements of dental staff training have been neglected.
After all, dental professionals are usually busy enough managing day-to-day items. Staying on top of training can feel like an impossible burden and tough to fit into a tight schedule. The good news is that by making a list of everything you need to do, you can break training down into manageable, bite-sized, sugar-free tasks.
It will take some planning and consideration, but most of the items on this list can be tackled in a few minutes a day or during monthly or quarterly meetings.
- Role-playing: The entire staff can participate in role-play exercises, and these interactions serve as a fun team bonding experience. We recommend that you practice training on first impressions, handling conflict resolution, selling services, asking for referrals, receptionist skills and performing collections activities.
- Morning huddles and weekly meetings: A few minutes in the morning can set the tone for the day. A morning huddle is a great time to review the schedule, discuss challenges, and celebrate wins. The morning huddle can be extended once a week to handle more complex housekeeping items.
- One-on-one communication: It’s vital to address performance problems before they cause irreparable damage to your practice. Whether you’re discussing a specific disciplinary matter or discussing a path toward career development, it is vital to spend some one-on-one time with staff members.
- Technical training: Technology changes at the speed of light, and your staff needs to know how to use dental practice management software and other dental marketing tools to stay on the cutting edge.
- HIPAA compliance: It can be helpful to review HIPAA compliance rules, especially in areas like patient outreach and digital communication.
- Insurance: Make sure your staff knows how to verify insurance and prepare coverage estimates. No one likes surprise bills and unexpected dental expenses!
Other Elements to Elevate Your Front Desk Presence
Dental front desk training includes more than improving communication and technical skills. There are also physical elements that are correlated to the success of your practice, including having a welcoming reception area and having the right practice management software.
Tips to Elevate Your Reception Area
Other than your website or social media profiles, the reception area is one of the first touchpoints a patient will have with your office. Therefore, you should spend considerable time ensuring that this part of your office reflects your brand and values.
Take a quick look around your office and check for the following:
- Clean and inviting atmosphere: Your front desk area should be cozy and inviting without being messy or cluttered. Adapt the atmosphere to your typical patient. For example, a pediatric office might have brighter colors, cartoons, or animal themes.
- Seamless check-in process: Keep waiting times to a minimum with an electronic check-in process that allows patients to notify your office of their presence and fill out forms without going back and forth with pens and clipboards.
- Comfortable lobby: Take a seat and take stock of your lobby. Are the chairs comfortable? How’s the temperature? Do you have branding packages that showcase your office’s services?
What to Look for in Practice Management Software
A modern dental office needs practice performance solution that boosts efficiency by automating tasks and streamlining marketing activities. At a minimum, your software should assist with scheduling, reminders and confirmations, digital forms, and billing. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The right dental practice performance solution will be invaluable to your operations.
Put Your Dental Practice on the Path to Success
In addition to providing your team with the skills and training to be successful, it’s also important to equip your front desk with the proper tools. Dental Intelligence provides your dental practice with everything you need to ensure your front desk staff provides patients with a VIP experience. From Analytics and Insurance to Engagement and dental front desk communication, Dental Intelligence has a full suite of tools to take your practice to the next level.
To see Dental Intelligence in action, schedule a demo today.